1 Swiss prosecutors have opened criminal proceedings against FIFA president Sepp Blatter and questioned UEFA president Michel Platini on a day of stunning developments at football’s world governing body.The Swiss attorney general’s office issued a statement saying Blatter is suspected of criminal mismanagement or misappropriation over a TV rights deal he signed with former Caribbean football chief Jack Warner in 2005.He is also suspected of “a disloyal payment” in 2011 of two millions Swiss francs (£1.35million on current exchange rates) to Platini for work allegedly carried out by the Frenchman between 1999 and 2002.Platini has been seen as the favourite to succeed Blatter as president of FIFA.Officers from the Swiss Office of the Attorney General (OAG) interrogated Blatter at FIFA headquarters following a FIFA executive committee meeting on Friday. His office was searched and data seized.Blatter has repeatedly insisted he is innocent of any wrongdoing amid allegations of scandal involving FIFA.Platini’s alleged involvement casts a shadow over his hopes of succeeding Blatter, who is understood to be deciding whether to step down immediately rather than stick to his original plan of staying on until February 26 2016. A “disloyal payment” is one that goes against the best interests of the organisation – and the question Platini will have to answer is why the alleged payment was not made until nine years down the line.FIFA had cancelled a news conference at its FIFA headquarters at the last minute on Friday.Around 170 media had been accredited for the news conference in Zurich and were only told of the cancellation five minutes before it was due to start.It followed a FIFA executive committee on Friday morning where a number of decisions were taken. These included moving the venue of the next meeting from Japan to Zurich – Japan has an extradition treaty with the USA and Blatter and several other officials have been wary of possible arrest.The committee also ratified a decision taken in March that the winter World Cup in Qatar in 2022 will be held over 28 days between November 21 and December 18.FIFA said it was co-operating with the investigation by the attorney general’s office.A statement said: “Since 27 May 2015, FIFA has been co-operating with the Office of the Swiss Attorney General (OAG) and has complied with all requests for documents, data and other information. We will continue this level of co-operation throughout the investigation. Today, at the Home of FIFA, representatives from the Office of the Swiss Attorney General conducted interviews and gathered documents pursuant to its investigation.“FIFA facilitated these interviews as part of our ongoing co-operation. We will have no further comment on the matter as it is an active investigation.”Blatter’s American lawyer Richard Cullen insisted “no mismanagement” had occurred.Cullen said in a statement: “Mr Blatter is co-operating and we are confident that when the Swiss authorities have a chance to review the documents and the evidence they will see that the contract was properly prepared and negotiated by the appropriate staff members of FIFA who were routinely responsible for such contracts, and certainly no mismanagement occurred.”Platini released a statement saying he had clarified matters about the payment with the authorities.Platini said: “Today I was asked by the Swiss authorities to provide information relating to the ongoing investigations surrounding FIFA. I have always been open to supporting the relevant bodies and authorities in their investigative work and therefore cooperated fully.“Regarding the payment that was made to me, I wish to state that this amount relates to work which I carried out under a contract with FIFA and I was pleased to have been able to clarify all matters relating to this with the authorities.“Today I also made clear to the Swiss authorities that since I live in Switzerland I am available to speak with them any time to clarify any matters relating to the investigations.” Sepp Blatter
James Wilson 1 Manchester United striker James Wilson say it was a one horse race when it came to joining Brighton on loan.The 19-year-old moved to the Championship side this week in an attempt to get more playing time.Several clubs enquired after his services but, after speaking with team-mate Jesse Lingard, Wilson says it was an easy choice.“There were a lot of clubs interested, but there was only one horse in the race for me,” Wilson told Brighton’s website.“It’s a brilliant club, brilliant facilities, and I think the style of play will suit my game, so that was the basis behind my decision.“I asked Jesse Lingard for some advice too, and about what it was like here. He told me it’s a great club.“Everyone I’ve spoken to has said it’s a brilliant set-up and a brilliant club, with a great bunch of lads.”
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe says a deal has been agreed to sign Wolves forward Benik Afobe. As talkSPORT revealed on Friday – a fee had been agreed between the two sides – it looks like a reported £10m deal is all-but complete. After beating Championship side Birmingham 2-1 in the FA Cup at St Andrew’s, Howe told the club’s media team: “A deal has been agreed. “There are still hurdles for us to overcome but we hope he’ll sign in time for Tuesday night.“He’ll bring strength, power and hopefully goals. We’ll be excited to see him [for Bournemouth] if the deal gets completed.”Afobe only joined Wolves for £2million from Arsenal last January and has scored 23 goals in 48 games for the club. He has netted 10 goals in 27 outings this term for Wanderers. 1 AFC Bournemouth: Eddie Howe confirms deal to sign Wolves striker Benik Afobe BREAKING: Eddie Howe confirms in post match press that a deal to sign Benik Afobe has been agreed.— AFC Bournemouth 🍒 (@afcbournemouth) January 9, 2016
11. Aleksandar Kolarov (left back) 7. Raheem Sterling (striker) 1. Joe Hart (goalkeeper) – see the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above 11 17. Kevin De Bruyne (left midfield) 6. Fernando (centre midfield) 11 11 Manchester City are looking to close the gap at the top of the Premier League table.The Citizens are three points off leaders Arsenal and second-placed Leicester City, and host Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon.Their previous outing was a disappointing goalless draw against Everton, and manager Manuel Pellegrini will be hoping his side put in a much more attacking performance when they host the Eagles.The Chilean opted for a 4-4-2 formation in midweek, with injuries interuppting his team selection – could he go for a similar tactic this weekend?Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted Manchester City line up by clicking the yellow arrow above, right. 11 11 10. Sergio Aguero (striker) 11 15. Jesus Navas (right midfield) 11 11 11 30. Nicolas Otamendi (centre back) 11 26. Martin Demichelis (centre back) 11 5. Pablo Zabaleta (right back) 42. Yaya Toure (centre midfield)
Depression leads to $30 billion to $44 billion in lost productivity annually, said the report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The report was available Saturday on the agency’s Web site at http://oas.samhsa.gov The various job categories tracked could be quite broad, with employees grouped in the same category seemingly having little in common. For example, one category included workers in the arts, media, entertainment and sports. In the personal care category, a worker caring for toddlers at a day care center would have quite a different job from a nursing aide who helps an older person live at home rather than in a nursing home. Just working full time would appear to be beneficial in preventing depression. The overall rate of depression for full-time workers, 7 percent, compares with the 12.7 percent rate registered by those who are unemployed. Depression rates The percent of full-time workers age 18 to 64 reporting depression lasting two weeks or longer, by categories of occupation, as provided by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health using 2004 through 2006 data: Personal care and service: 10.8 Food preparation and serving related: 10.3 Community and social services: 9.6 Health care practitioners and technical: 9.6 Arts, design, entertainment, sports and media: 9.1 Education, training and library: 8.7 Office and administrative support: 8.1 Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance: 7.3 Financial: 6.7 Sales and related: 6.7 Legal: 6.4 Transportation and material moving: 6.4 Mathematical and computer scientists: 6.2 Production: 5.9 Management: 5.8 Farming, fishing and forestry: 5.6 Protective service: 5.5 Construction and extraction: 4.8 Installation, maintenance and repair: 4.4 Life, physical and social science: 4.4 Engineering, architecture and surveyors: 4.3 SOURCE: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.During such episodes there is loss of interest and pleasure, and at least four other symptoms surface, including problems with sleep, eating, energy, concentration and self-image. Workers who prepare and serve food – cooks, bartenders, waiters and waitresses – had the second highest rate of depression among full-time employees at 10.3 percent. In a tie for third were health care workers and social workers at 9.6 percent. The lowest rate of depression, 4.3 percent, occurred in the job category that covers engineers, architects and surveyors. Government officials tracked depression within 21 major occupational categories. They combined data from 2004 through 2006 to estimate episodes of depression within the past year. That information came from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, which registers lifetime and past-year depression bouts. WASHINGTON – People who tend to the elderly, change diapers and serve up food and drinks have the highest rates of depression among U.S. workers. Overall, 7 percent of full-time workers battled depression in the past year, according to a government report available Saturday. Women were more likely than men to have had a major bout of depression, and younger workers had higher rates of depression than their older colleagues. Almost 11 percent of personal care workers – which includes child care and helping the elderly and severely disabled with their daily needs – reported depression lasting two weeks or longer.
FRESNO A suspect has been arrested who authorities believe was involved in causing a crash involving more than 100 cars and trucks on Saturday that killed at least two people and injured dozens more, the California Highway Patrol said.<p Eighteen big rigs were involved in the massive pileup on Highway 99 just south of Fresno as patches of dense fog obscured visibility on the heavily traveled roadway, CHP officials said. <p CHP Officer Kirk Arnold said an arrest had been made as a result of the crash investigation, but could not confirm the charges on which the suspect is being held. The person, whom the CHP is not yet identifying, is being held in Fresno County Jail, Arnold said. Officials identified one of the victims as Travis Rogers, 26. A 5-year-old also died but has not been identified, Arnold said. The two victims were traveling in separate vehicles when the chain-reaction collisions occurred around 7:45 a.m. CHP Officer Paul Solorzano, Jr. described the scene as”something out of a movie, walking up and seeing all the cars mangled and crushed.” Rescuers had to extract several people trapped in the wreckage, and paramedics transported more than three dozen patients to the hospital with injuries, Fresno City Fire Department spokesman Ken Shockley said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. The freeway’s northbound lanes around Clovis Avenue were shut down indefinitely as investigators worked to determine the cause of the crash. Traffic backed up for miles south of the wreckage. Southbound lanes remained opened. Arnold said the freeway would not be reopened until midnight at the earliest because of the ongoing investigation. Two of the big rigs leaked 90 gallons of diesel fuel onto the freeway when their fuel tanks ruptured, but the diesel was contained. No hazardous materials were spilled, CHP officials said. Hours after the accident, the freeway was littered with smashed cars and trucks, broken glass, auto parts and blood. A big rig carrying stacked crates of live turkeys was stranded in the middle of the normally busy highway. Crash victims gathered on the freeway shoulder near the wreckage, waiting to be interviewed by investigators. Cindy Ramirez, 21, of Selma, said her purple Mazda pickup truck was rear-ended as she was driving to her job washing windows in Shaver Lake. “Everybody was trying to miss everybody, but it was impossible not to get hit,” Ramirez said. “I’m fine physically, but I keep thinking about all of the things that could have happened.” Omar Macias, 33, was hauling asphalt from Bakersfield to Elk Grove when his truck was caught in the pileup. “I got out to check on people at first, and then I heard more crashes around me, so I got right back in,” said Macias of Bakersfield. “I feel OK, but I don’t what OK means right now. People got hurt.” Even as investigators interviewed dazed drivers on the roadside, crews began sprinkling sand on the freeway and sweeping up shattered glass. Thick seasonal fog known as “Tule fog” typically occurs in Central California in the late fall and winter. Two people died along a nearby stretch of fog-blanketed Highway 99 in an 74-vehicle pileup in 2002, and another section of the roadway several miles south was the scene of a 74-vehicle crash that left two dead nearly a decade ago. “There was probably two-foot visibility in the fog when I got here. It was really bad,” said Mike Bowman, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. “It looked like chaos. Cars were backed up on top of each other.” Micky Padilla of Porterville was driving with his family to a baptism when they heard the sound of metal screeching, struggled to brake and slammed into a Nissan Maxima. Padilla ran out and found a man bleeding in a white pickup. The man was still breathing minutes later when firefighters arrived, but later died on the highway, Padilla said. “It was just bang, bang all around us,” Padilla said, shaking his head as he stood next to a puddle of blood on the blacktop. “I can’t believe I still have my wife and my kids. Someone was looking out for us.” Associated Press writers Marcus Wohlsen and Jason Dearen contributed to this report from San Francisco.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You're all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! RESEDA – Three people, including one suspected to be driving under the influence, were hospitalized in serious condition late Tuesday following a five-vehicle collision at White Oak Avenue and Victory Boulevard, authorities said. The accident was reported about 9:50 p.m., said LAPD Officer Karen Smith. No other information was available.
Towns like Bundoran have launched successful marketing campaignsTHEY’RE not always right, but if TV forecasters are correct, Donegal could be basking in more glorious sunshine this weekend.Temperatures are expected to slowly rise tomorrow (Friday) with cloud clearing from the west on Saturday.RTE and BBC forecasters say we could get temperatures of around 15C on Saturday rising under clear blue skies on Sunday to around 17C. After another week of miserable economic news, at least we can look forward to some great weather.And the best bit – it’s FREE!With Easter holidays for many schools throughout the county starting tomorrow, the predicted fine weather is great news for families.And it could be more good news for the tourist and retail industries at a time when more visitors to the county are desperately needed. Failte Ireland says they expect visitor numbers to the North West to continue to rise in 2011 as more tourists seek something different from the usual attractions in Kerry and other southern counties.A report from the tourism body shows 14% of all holiday makers coming to Ireland visit counties Sligo, Donegal and Leitrim which are marketed as ‘Ireland’s North West’.FORECASTERS PREDICTING ANOTHER GLORIOUS WEEKEND FOR DONEGAL was last modified: April 13th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bundorandonegalFailte Irelandsunny weather