With Manchester recent stuttering in recent times, the last being the 1-0 loss to relegation-bound Newcastle United, Huddersfield, boosted by their last two wins would be hoping to book their first FA Cup quarter final place since 1972 ahead of todayâ€™s Red Devilâ€™s visitH uddersfield are targeting a first FA Cup quarter-final since 1972 as they look to beat Manchester United on home soil for the second time this season. The Terriers have won their last two games 4-1, including a surprise result against in-form Bournemouth.Steve Mounie is hoping to continue a run of three goals in his last four games, but manager David Wagner knows it will be difficult to repeat Huddersfield’s memorable 2-1 win over United from October.He said: “The priority since day one has been the Premier League. This doesn’t mean we don’t like to be successful in the other competitions as well. We will not worry about this situation. It is our present for our fans that we play Man Utd in the fifth round of the FA Cup at home – the oldest competition in the world.“It’s a great occasion, a great situation, a great moment even if we have some injury problems. It’s the cup so we can play this game with all the freedom we have against one of the biggest names in world football at the John Smith’s Stadium.”Huddersfield Town defender Scott Malone believes the club’s Premier League win over Manchester United earlier this season will be a confidence boost as they aim to topple Jose Mourinho’s side inÂ Saturday’sÂ FA Cup fifth-round match.Huddersfield pulled off a shock 2-1 league win over United at the John Smith’s Stadium in October but fell to a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford earlier this month.“We’ve got Manchester United for the third time this season… we are all looking forward to it,” Malone told the club’s website.“They’re a good side and put you under a lot of pressure. We’ve played a deep block against them twice now, beat them at home and lost away. It’ll be interesting to see what we doSaturdayÂ as there’s no points to play for. We want a good cup run and we are going into the game to win it.”Jose Mourinho concentrated on the form of Paul Pogba in the build-up to the game, calling reports of a breakdown between himself and the France international as lies.“It’s very difficult to put me in a position where I have to criticise my players,” said Mourinho when quizzed on Pogba’s lack of form, which saw the Â£89m midfielder dropped when United last faced Huddersfield a fortnight ago.“It is my problem; it is the player’s problem. A big lie that our relationship is not good, a big lie that we don’t communicate, a big lie that we don’t agree with his positions and his involvement in the dynamic of the team. So, be objective and say what we all know – in the last couple of matches he didn’t play well. Period. End of story.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Sarajevo football players led by a professional staff left for Slovenia yesterday, where they will continue preparations for the upcoming European appearances and the beginning of a new season in the national championship.After the published roll calls on 10 June, the team trained in Sarajevo two times a day. This morning at 8:00, Bordo team left for Slovenia, where they will immediately upon arrival in the afternoon continue training. As announced earlier, several preliminary matches are planned, and the first control match will take place against Maribor, while three days later they will play against FK Rostov.In Slovenia on 25 June one more control match will be held against one of Iran’s first leagues. Return to Sarajevo is scheduled for 25 June, a day after the draw for the first qualifying round pairs for the European league.It is worth mentioning that four junior players have found a seat on the bus for Slovenia: Goalman Hujić, Defender Varatanović, Midfielder Čulov and Striker Plakalo, announced the Football Club Sarajevo.The list of players for preparations in Slovenia are: Bandović, Abdihodžić, Hujić, Radulović, Tatomirović, Dupovac, Tadejević, Hrelja, Varatanović, Haurdić, Todorović, Suljić, Osmanagić, Dzakmić, Radovac, Handžić, Šunjevarić, Cimirot, Čulov, Huseinbašić, Melunović, Aganspahić, Plakalo.(Source: radiosarajevo.ba)
Walking back to the huddle, beating himself up a little bit after failing to hold onto a Ben Roethlisberger heave that would have gotten the Steelers out of an early hole last week against San Diego, Wallace tried not to take it personally.That doesn’t mean he succeeded.“I think they’re out to get me a little bit,” Wallace said with a smile.Then again, the easygoing 26-year-old understands he has no one to blame but himself. Wallace took a calculated risk last summer when he decided to hold out during training camp. Coming off his first Pro Bowl and entering the prime of his career, Wallace didn’t want to leave the Steelers as much as he simply wanted to get paid a little more — OK, a lot more — to stay.When management balked, Wallace reported less than two weeks before the season started and pledged not to let his uncertain future mess with his head.It hasn’t exactly happened.Sure, Wallace is on pace to match the 72 receptions he put up a year ago and he needs two touchdowns over Pittsburgh’s final three games to set a new career-high.Yet it’s the slip-ups — such as a handful of costly drops and a pair of fumbles — that have outweighed the spectacular. Wallace is in the midst of perhaps the most productive season of his four-year career. It just doesn’t feel like it.While the former third-round pick has shown the ability to adapt to offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s short-passing game and he’s accepted the fact there are fewer deep shots to go around, he knows he’s done little to calm critics who viewed his holdout as a betrayal.“Anything I do is going to be magnified, good, bad, it doesn’t really matter,” he said. “I’ve just got to do what I need to do and I don’t give anybody a reason to say anything. Whatever happens I take full responsibility for it.”And to be honest, he’s OK with it.“I don’t want nobody to ever say it’s enough,” he said. “I always want somebody to have a knock on me. Always, because it’s always going to make me a better player and it’s always going to give me something to strive for.”Even if, at the moment, Wallace is content with striving to avoid the kind of mental miscues that have cost the Steelers (7-6) this season. They are, after all, tied with Cincinnati for the AFC’s last wild card spot heading into Sunday’s game in Dallas (7-6) and could be in a better place.Wallace has six drops this season, tied for 16th most in the NFL. The names higher on that list include Wes Welker, Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant.The difference, of course, is that none of those guys skipped training camp, and Wallace knows it.“I made the bed,” he said. “I’ll lie in it.”No matter how uncomfortable it can get.Wallace raised eyebrows last week when he admitted to having his mind wander during games. Looking back, he admits he probably should have kept that to himself.“When you’re not getting the ball into the games sometime you might get a little frustrated and lose focus in the game, not on the game, but sometimes you get mentally not focused on the things you always need to be focused on,” he said.It certainly looked that way against the Chargers. Backed up deep in their own end in the second quarter, Roethlisberger tested his sprained right shoulder and flung it as far as he could. Wallace had a step on the defender and stretched to haul it in, only to have it bounce off his hands to the turf.Though Wallace rebounded to catch seven passes for 112 yards and two scores, it’s the one he couldn’t bring in that stuck with him afterward.“All I keep thinking about was the drop I had,” Wallace said. “But you can’t dwell on that.”Besides, there’s plenty of other things to think about, including the future. Wallace has tried to block out what will happen once the season ends, adding it would be “selfish” if he started wondering where he’ll be playing next year.Maybe, but with 2013 fast approaching, there’s a real chance Wallace could be playing his final games in Pittsburgh.The Steelers signed teammate Antonio Brown to a contract extension while Wallace was working out by himself in Florida. And the rapid development of Emmanuel Sanders combined with the money Wallace could earn on the open market makes the prospect of Wallace sticking around seem unlikely.If time is growing short, Wallace is trying to make it count. So is his quarterback.“He has all the confidence in himself and we have it in him,” Roethlisberger said. “We’re confident that he’s going to come out and be great. There’s never a second thought in my mind about it.”In Wallace’s either.“It’s not like I’m out here dropping every pass,” he said. “I made a lot of plays, too, as well. But I definitely would like to make every single play on the field.“I’ve just got to keep working at it and I think things will go my way.”NOTES: LB James Harrison (illness) did not practice on Wednesday … S Troy Polamalu was held out of practice but it was not injury related … LB LaMarr Woodley, who has missed the last two games with an ankle injury, was a full participant … Coach Mike Tomlin met with RB Rashard Mendenhall to talk about the one-game suspension Mendenhall received for conduct detrimental to the team. Tomlin called the meeting productive.(Follow Will Graves at www.twitter.com/WillGravesAP) by Will GravesAP Sports Writer PITTSBURGH (AP) — Mike Wallace heard the boos. And the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver knew it didn’t have as much to do with the pass that had just clanged off his hands as with the expectations — self-imposed or otherwise — he just can’t seem to meet. BIG CATCH–Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace (17) makes a touchdown catch past San Diego Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer (23) in the third quarter on Dec. 9, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Don Wright)
By John BurtonRED BANK– What Borough Councilmen-elect Michael Whelan and Mark Taylor lack in experience in their young political careers, they say they make up in energy and enthusiasm.Red Bank Councilman-elect Mike Whelan“We’re going to be like a sponge, absorbing everything,” said Taylor, about his and Whalen’s plans for learning the ropes as the two Republicans prepare to take their seats on the new borough council. The Republicans will have the majority for the first time in more than two decades.“We’re still in kind of a limbo,” Whelan pointed out. As members-elect they haven’t formally taken their place on the six-member council but are already being approached by residents asking about things and what to expect. “People are looking at us to make changes,” Taylor said.The two will be sworn in on Jan. 2 during the borough re-organization meeting which will be held at the municipal complex at noon.As for what to expect, “I think we want to continue the progress that has been made,” in the last couple of years, Taylor offered, referring to the work of their GOP predecessors Cindy Burnham and Linda Schwabenbauer. Burnham was elected two years ago, and Schwabenbauer was elected last year.“We’re not going to upset the applecart,” Taylor assured, “but we’d like to continue the progress.”Red Bank Councilman-elect Mark TaylorTaylor, 34, a lawyer, and Whelan, 25, who works in the insurance industry, are two political newcomers who won what turned out to be a protracted and close campaign that eventually was determined by a formal vote recount last month. Whelan’s victory was particularly narrow, winning by a mere three votes over nine-year-incumbent Democrat Michael DuPont. Their victory, with previous wins in the last two years by Burnham and Schwabenbauer, set the stage for the GOP to take the majority control of the council for the first time since 1989.Whelan said this amounted to a mandate from the electorate. “People want change,” he said.The changing of the political guard generally ensures there will be some changes in political appointments for the new year. And that could possibly mean a different attorney, engineering and auditing firms, among others, positions that traditionally serve at the pleasure of the mayor and council.Mayor Pasquale Menna, a Democrat, said last week he hasn’t been informed about the future appointments as of yet. Taylor, in response, said it was premature to discuss that and no final decisions have been determined at this time.“Yes, we’re the majority,” he noted, “but we’re not the only ones on the council.”But the two, presumably with the support of their fellow Republicans have issues they would like to tackle in the coming year. Taylor sees it as time for the governing body to once again address the longstanding, and sometimes thorny, issue of parking. “We have an opportunity to dive deep into this,” said Taylor.Certainly, one of the considerations could be further discussions about a parking garage. Taylor said that could be one remedy “if done smartly,” and something that should be raised. “If it doesn’t cost the taxpayers money.”For Whelan, “The one thing I’m really concerned with is the businesses.”Whelan maintained, “When I hear horror stories of mom and pops (businesses) waiting for months to get a variance,” so they can proceed in opening, he finds that troubling.Making the borough more business-friendly and improving the parking situation, “These issues dovetail into each other,” Taylor believed.And the goal is “to get people to Red Bank,” Whelan stressed.Getting people here as visitors—competing with the recently redeveloped Asbury Park as an attraction, especially for younger people—and getting them to move here, to live and to raise their families, should be a priority, they believe.Another area needing attention is the borough’s infrastructure. Taylor called it “ancient” and “actually dangerous,” given its age and condition. Up to this point Whelan describes remedies as, “It’s been a lot of Band-Aids.” Both men acknowledged this could mean spending considerable money but it has to be addressed.“These are not new ideas but we need to move them forward,” Taylor said.Whelan said he would love to serve as the borough council’s liaison to Red Bank RiverCenter, the commercial district’s business alliance.Taylor, who has been active with the Parks and Recreation Committee for a number of years, and would like to continue working with the department if possible.In closing, Whelan offered, “I think the people of Red Bank deserve a break,” and they hope to “dig deep” into the budget to help ease the tax burden.“The vision we have is something we’re going to work on,” he said.
The bubble finally broke for the Nelson Leafs.Playing with only three healthy defencemen in the lineup for the past few games, the Leafs watched the back end explode as the Grand Forks Border Bruins scored five unanswered goals en route to a 5-2 decision over the Green and White Friday in the Boundary City.The win was the first of the season for the Bruins over the Leafs and allows the Beaver Valley Nitehawks to creap within a point of the Neil Murdoch Division leaders.Beaver Valley, blasting Prince Posse 7-0 Friday at the Hawks Nest, has played one less game than the Leafs.Jackson Purvis and former Leaf Connor Gross each scored twice as the Bruins rallied from a 2-0 first period deficit to grab a 4-2 lead after 40 minutes.Max Newton scored the other goal for Grand Forks, winners of four of five games in January. Travis Wellman, playing his first game since before the New Year, and Brandon Sookro scored for Nelson which out shot the Bruins 47-39.Dominic Stadnyk was the winner in goal for the Bruins while Adam Maida got the start for Nelson but was pulled after 40 minutes in favour of Brad Rebagliati.The win was especially important for Grand Forks, improving to 14-19-2-2 in the Murdoch Division as the Bruins are locked in a fight for the final playoff spot with Spokane Braves.The teams are currently tied with 40 points. However, Grand Forks has played three less games than their American cousins.Spokane kept pace as Jon Manlow stopped 44 shots to power the Braves to a 2-0 upset win over Castlegar Rebels in the Lilac City.In Fruitvale, Dallas Calvin and Hayden Chase each scored twice to lead the Hawks. Beaver Valley out shot the Posse 43-23.The Bruins are back in action Sunday when the squad hosts Beaver Valley Nitehawks at 2 p.m. in Grand Forks.Spokane travels to Nelson to meet the Leafs at a 2:30 p.m. puck drop.Nelson will have team captain Darnel St. Pierre back in the lineup. The former Revelstoke Grizzly finished serving a two-game suspension for an accumulation of hit-to-the-head penalties.
Lewis said he was very antsy before the bout but was able to overcome nerves to persevere over Gowanlock.“I think the fight went really good . . . I think there is lots that I can work on,” Lewis said after the bout.“Being my first fight it felt nerve-wracking for sure . . . I was a bit scared going in. Overall I was able to end up with the decision so in the end it was good.”Lewis, who comes from a family of boxing enthusiasts, felt he needed to get away from the brawling aspect of fighting.“Boxing is way more of a sport than people realize,” he said. “There’s some brawling in the sport but during a fight you’re always trying to get ahead by working the chest and jabbing your opponent.”In the end, Lewis pounced on Gowanlock, who had the bout stopped a few times for a standing count by the referee, to be checked by the ring doctor and to deal with a bloody face.Other matches had Riel Martinez of Nelson fighting Dylan Muhlig in a 38 kg Initiation bout; Krishan Lysenko of Nelson meeting up with Danica Dreyer of Thistletown in girls Elite Exhibition match; and Cranbrook boxers Alexica Hansen and Sierra Pearson facing off in a 32 kg Initiation match.Joe Armstrong of Thistletown knocked out the final Nelson Boxer, Bohdi Cartland, in the 91kg Elite Novice bout.The KO came in the first round, after Cartland knocked Armstrong’s headpiece off Armstrong off earlier in the round.Parsa Bisheh of Griffins Boxing defeated Brandon Emerick of Thistletown by a TKO in 60 kg Junior C Novice.Other matches had Conner Null of Revelstoke facing Clive Fagan of Thistletown in 69 kg Elite Exhibition and Dom Barbosa of Salmon Arm meeting Kaden Swanson of Cranbrook in 64 kg Junior C Exhibition.The Nelson Boxing Club is located at 685 Baker Street in Nelson in the basement that houses Pharmasave. Check out the club’s Facebook page. Fight Night #2 Saturday at the Nelson Rod and Gun Club mirrored May’s inaugural event in a lot of ways — a full house with lots of local talent from the Nelson Boxing Club on display.However, the action and intensity inside the ring was turned up just a little more than Fight Night #1 which gave the Nelson Boxing Club coaching staff plenty to build on as the organization moves forward.“I was super happy with all our athletes tonight,” said Jesse Pineiro of the Nelson Boxing Club.“Everyone gave it everything and showed a lot of skills. . .. I’ve very proud of them all.”Fight Night # 2 saw a handful of local fighters take center stage at the Rod and Gun Club.Nelson boxers Elias Martinez and Jeff Emmett brought the hometown crowd to their feet with after earning unanimous decisions over Aaron Madriaga and Geoff Hewlett in the later fights on the card — the latter bout the Nelson Brewing Company main event.Madriaga is from Thistletown Boxing Club while Hewlett is from North Vancouver.Earlier bouts saw Ryan Lewis, competing in his first ever bout, score a TKO decision over John Gowanlock of Revelstoke.