Tamilnet editor’s murder still unpunished after one year

first_img RSF_en April 28, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Tamilnet editor’s murder still unpunished after one year Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders (RSF), the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and the Sri Lanka Free Media Movement (FMM) all voiced outrage today about the lack of progress in the investigation into the murder a year ago of Tamil journalist Dharmeratnam “Taraki” Sivaram, the editor of the Tamilnet news website and columnist for the Sri Lankan Daily Mirror newspaper.The arrest of a suspect in June 2005 raised hopes that the case would soon be solved, but the investigators have done virtually nothing since his arrest.”The current serious crisis in Sri Lanka – the result of unacceptable terrorism – in no way justifies the impunity prevailing in the murders of journalists and human rights activists,” the three press freedom organisations said.”We call on President Mahinda Rajapakse to step up efforts in the investigation into Sivaram’s murder as the state’s credibility in preventing the murders of journalists, especially Tamil journalists, is at stake” they added.Four men kidnapped Sivaram on April 28, 2005, as he and several friends emerged from a bar a few metres from the Bambalapitya police station. His body was found the next day in the district of Himbulala, near the parliament. He had been beaten and shot in the head.Arumugam Sri Skandarajan, a former member of a Tamil armed group, was arrested as a suspect on June 13, 2005, near Colombo. He was found in possession of the SIM card from Sivaram’s mobile phone. The police also said they had found a vehicle that may have been used in his abduction. But the witnesses of the abduction later said the detained suspect was not one of the kidnappers and that the car was not the one they had used.After his arrest, the police virtually abandoned the investigation. Sivaram’s relatives and friends say the instigators and perpetrators could be linked to Tamil paramilitary groups, as Sivaram supported the Tamil nationalists and was outspoken in his criticism of abuses by the security forces and paramilitaries.During the past year, Tamil language journalists and media workers have been killed, received death threats, physical and psychological threats, been arrested and detained. Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) journalist, Relangi Selvarajah and her husband were shot dead on August 12, 2005, in Bambalapitiya, Colombo.Subramaniyam Sugirdharajan, popularly known as SSR, a part-time provincial journalist working for the Tamil language daily, Sudaroli, was shot dead in the eastern port city of Trincomalee on January 24, 2006.D. Selvarathnam, a security guard at the printing press for Tamil language newspaper, Sudaroli, was killed in a grenade attack against the newspaper on August 29, 2005.K. Navarathnam, newspaper deliveryman of Yal Thinakkural, was killed by unknown assailants in Jaffna on December 22, 2005.These killings have contributed to a growing fear amongst the Tamil media community.The IFJ, RSF and FMM are calling for the Sri Lankan Government to ensure those responsible for these murders are brought to justice and to ensure the safety of all journalists working in Sri Lanka.”As long as journalists are forced to work in fear there can be no press freedom,” said the three organisations.————-Create your blog with Reporters without borders: www.rsfblog.org Sri Lanka: Journalist manhandled by notorious police inspector currently on trial Dharmeratnam Sivaram, one of Sri Lanka’s most famous Tamil journalists, was found dead on 29 April 2005, a day after he was kidnapped. His murderers have never been identified. Reporters Without Borders, the International Federation of Journalists and the Free Media Movement urge the authorities to do everything necessary to ensure that this crime does not remain unpunished. News to go further Sri LankaAsia – Pacific July 29, 2020 Find out more Sri Lanka: RSF signs joint statement on attacks against human rights defenders, lawyers and journalists Organisation Sri LankaAsia – Pacific Sri Lanka: tamil reporter held on absurd terrorism charge News Help by sharing this information News Follow the news on Sri Lanka January 13, 2021 Find out more News July 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

ESA meets Offshore WIND Conference

first_imgOffshore WIND Conference is proud to announce a first for the event: the final speaker of the conference will be two distinguished guests from the European Space Agency.They will be discussing where space technology meets offshore wind and how these two industries can work together to improve future offshore wind farms and applications in the session titled: “Space meets wind”.During the session, Davide Coppela and Rita Rinaldo, both from the Downstream Business Applications Department of ESA will be speaking.Themed Leading the way, the Offshore WIND Conference 2017 will focus on the opportunities for the offshore wind sector over the next ten years and beyond. What will upcoming tenders offer the supply chain (short term)? What are the trends and opportunities after 2023? While also tackling subtopics such as cost reduction, innovations, subsidy and cooperation with the oil and gas industries.More information on the Offshore WIND Conference can be found on the website www.offshorewindconference.biz. You can also book your delegate seats via the website.The 8th annual Offshore WIND Conference (OWC) on 9 and 10 October 2017, part of the Offshore Energy Exhibition & Conference (OEEC), will focus on the opportunities for the offshore wind sector over the next ten years and beyond.OEEC is one of Europe’s leading offshore energy events. It is unique in bringing together the oil & gas, offshore wind and marine energy industry.With the industry in transition, OEEC offers offshore energy professionals the ideal meeting place to network, discuss and learn about the future of energy. OEEC 2017 will be held at Amsterdam RAI on October 9, 10, 11, 2017.last_img read more

Mourinho offers help to FA panel

first_img “If you concentrate on the here and now – not on the future in three or four years’ time – on the group of players at Roy Hodgson’s disposal to play at the World Cup, then England have more than enough. “A World Cup without England is not a World Cup. “They are one of the big football countries and even if at one moment the team is not at a high level, England always have to be in a World Cup.” The self-confessed Anglophile, who began a second stint at Chelsea in June, admitted he was especially happy to see England clinch automatic qualification for the finals with victory over Poland. “I didn’t celebrate on Tuesday by jumping up and down or drinking because that’s not in my nature but inside I was happy,” the 50-year-old added. “Part of me was also happy my Chelsea players won’t have the pressure of the play-offs in November and can play two friendlies instead, rather than worrying about Brazil. “England deserved to qualify and the tournament will be better for having them there. “With the pressure of the last two matches which they had to win, they coped well.” FA chairman Dyke, who replaced David Bernstein in July, has set up a new commission to investigate the decline in the number of English players featuring in the Premier League. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has offered his assistance to the Football Association’s newly-established commission. The Portuguese is willing to both discuss the long-term future of the England team with FA chairman Greg Dyke and offer his opinion on how the Three Lions can best compete for the World Cup trophy in Brazil next summer. He told The Guardian: “If they want to speak with me I will give them my opinion. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more